|Post:||Professor in Statistical Science|
|Department:||Mathematics And Statistics|
|E-Mail:||Chris.Jones @ open.ac.uk|
|Tel:||+44 (0) 1908 652209|
Other Activities and Awards
- Historically, in smoothing methods, particularly kernel smoothing. Contributions include to automatic bandwidth selection, higher order bias kernel density estimators, semiparametric density estimation, coping with non-standard data situations, and a load of detailed questions.
- Currently, much more interested in what I call distributionology! In particular, I feel that parametric distributions with a small number of shape parameters have a lesser place in statistical modelling than they deserve. Am trying to some extent to focus more on inferential issues associated with such distributions, but am inevitably also very interested in their properties and generation.
- In addition, a wide variety of miscellaneous topics in statistics, including applications.
- Elected Fellow of the American Statistical Association in 1996, Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics in 1999 and Member of the International Statistical Institute in 2000.
- Served as Joint Editor, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, 1996-1999.
- Currently Associate Editor of: Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics; Journal of the Korean Statistical Society; Statistical Methodology; Statistics and Probability Letters